Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Independent

Yesterday for Cole's birthday my wonderful friend, Jen, offered to watch Lexi for us so we could go to dinner. Those of you who know me know I don't have people watch Lexi very often (like only twice). She has always had such a hard time when I leave that I can't enjoy my time away so I stopped doing it. Well, since Jen is one of the best Moms I know and Lexi loves her little boy I tried it. I was worried while we were gone and didn't know what I'd come back to. Well, when I got there to pick her up she was upstairs playing and didn't want anything to do with me. (No running to greet me with excitment) Not quite the reaction I was expecting. She was fine that I was gone. This is a good thing...right? Well that night I was feeling really sad but couldn't pin point why. Then it hit me. My little girl was becoming more independent and it kind of hurt. I've always wanted her to be able to do well when I'm away, but when it finally happened it made me feel bad. I know it's what needs to happen but I didn't know growing up would be so hard...on me:)

3 comments:

Matt and Suzanne said...

Oh, this is sweet. That would be tough! I think it just means you are doing a great job though! No one will ever be able to comfort her the way you do. I still feel that way about my mom...and I'm pretty independent. :)

Sharon said...

I can't believe how fast Lexi is growing - but what a cutie. Independent is hard, but good. You're a great mom and I'm sure Lexi knows it :)

Hannah and Mike said...

It is kind of a crushing moment when you realize you are no longer their world, but it definitely is a good transition.