Since I've been pregnant people are really friendly to me. They always ask when I'm due and what gender the baby is. I get really weird faces when I tell people when I'm due. I don't know what they are thinking. Either they think I'm big or small for how far along I am. The funny thing is that their faces usually have the exact same expression on them each time I tell them. I have enjoyed people's friendliness towards me ... usually.
The other day I went to the grocery store. The woman that was checking me out was older. She looked at me and asked me when I'm due. I told her. She then looked at me in horror and said, "You are so low!" I didn't know how to respond. I said that I am but that I have less than two months. This didn't make that awful look on her face go away. It did, however, make me worry. I called my Mom right away and she reassured me as only she can. I also asked my Doctor to make sure I am okay. He said it could actually be a good thing I am carrying so low because when I go into labor the birth might go faster.
I've decided that you should never tell a pregnant woman how much weight you gained when you were pregnant unless it was an extremely large amount. If you tell a pregnant woman how much you gained you run the risk of either making her day or ruining it (depending on if she's gained more or less than you). I suggest you play it safe and don't say anything. We're already sensitive enough about our looks when we're pregnant.
6 comments:
Yes random people are nicer to you when you are pregnant but they talk to you a lot more too! A few times in the parking lot I've had people put my shopping cart away for me, which is always nice :) I think it is a good thing to carry your baby low, I carried super high with Dawson and labor took FOREVER plus you get heartburn and can't breathe sometimes. Time is almost up so enjoy your last 2months pregnant, soon you'll have people looking at you in the store only because you can't get your baby to stop crying :) But I wouldn't trade that for anything!
i learned in a linguistics class that although strangers don't normally feel comfortable asking really personal questions/touching people, there is an exception for people with animals or children and pregnant women. i guess i did learn something in college that applies to real life. :)
Oh the joys of being pregnant! I promise it is worth it once the baby arrives! I got all sorts of funny comments, and I believe strangers should keep their comments to themselves! I gained 55 pounds with my first pregnancy and believe me...some people kept reminding me of that! :)
haha, that made me laugh. I used to get really mad like when the lady asked me if I was pregnant with twins. GRR! I hope you guys move in soon! We have another new neighbor in our ward who is about to have a baby girl any minute!
If there is one thing I've learned, it is to not listen to people's random comments! A lady in the book store kept trying to tell me that I can't be due in less than 3 weeks because I'm way too little. I think each pregnant belly is like each baby it's hiding...unique. :)
Yes...I agree with you. And then , after you have the baby, people should never say "you still look pregnant!" I actually had someone say this to me after I had Joshua (had a c-section) and after I had Madison (was still swollen from the pre-eclampsia). Anyway, I felt terrible and cried because obviously, I still had my baby weight.
Post a Comment