Thursday, September 17, 2015

Sinus surgery

It has been quite the summer for me healthwise.  I have had sinus infections on and off for the past 10 years and this summer was no exception.  They would come on and go away with certain anti-biotics for a week or two but then they'd return.  They caused me extremely bad head aches and tooth pain.  I finally convinced the ENT to get me a CT scan and they found a cyst and some poor bone structures so they decided to do surgery to open up my two maxillary sinuses and remove the cyst.  Well, when they got in there three of my other sinuses didn't look very good so they opened those up as well.  Honestly I was kind of looking forward to the surgery because it meant some time to just rest and do nothing.  The recovery was harder than I thought it would be.  The pain medication made me itchy, dizzy, and sleepy so I only took it for about 36 hours and then switched to Tylenol.  You have to sleep propped up which isn't too bad until the blood starts draining down the back of your throat and you wake up coughing or gagging.  I didn't get much sleep.  One night I slept with a cough drop in my throat and that helped but I'm sure it was bad for my teeth and a choking hazard.  I also really appreciate being able to breath through my nose and blow my nose now.  I had a hard time doing the nasal rinses because they're bloody and uncomfortable.  I thought maybe I'd be less squeemish after doing them but now the site of blood makes me even more uncomfortable.  I went in for a check up today and almost passes out when they showed me my sinuses on the TV screen while they shoved a camera in my nose.  It was painful but I'm healing and hopefully it will help me in the long run.


No comments: