Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Just Thinking

Lately I've been thinking about being content. I have something I really want. I've been wanting it for over two years now. Normally I am okay without it but sometimes I want it so much I get really sad about it. Well, I started to realize how ungrateful I was being. In reality this thing I want is the only thing I really want that I don't have. All my life my main wants have been to get married (check), have children (check), and be a stay at home mom (check). I am so blessed to have those things. I know so many people that want those things and haven't been blessed to have them. I don't know why some people get certain blessings in this life and others have to wait until the next life.

So why is it that I can't be grateful and content with what I have? Each time I get the thing I want I am momentarily happy. Then I come up with something new I want and am no longer content with what I have. Don't get me wrong. I think it is great to aspire to have more than you already have but it is only okay under certain conditions. I need to recognize my current blessings and hope for more but be content with what I've been given. Just like the song says "Count your many blessings name then one by one and it will surprise you what the Lord has done." When I take the time to reflect on the many things Heavenly Father has blessed me with I am amazed at his kindness and generosity.

And so I am content...more than that I am grateful and happy. Maybe someday I will get the thing I want. That would be great if I did. But if I don't it will be okay. I've followed the path Heavenly Father has chosen for me and so far that's worked out really well. I know that if I continue to do so he will watch out for me. He will bless me with the things I need. I know it is important to try to make my wants his wants. I'm grateful to know I can trust in him.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Those are very good and true thoughts. It's hard sometimes to let go of wants and remember all we truly have.

But now I want to know the thing you want. :) And so to coax you to share I'll share the thing I think about: The thing I want (and sometimes consumes me if I forget to be grateful) is a big green lawn, and a huge peony garden. And a big weeping willow.

Matt and Amie said...

Michelle, that was such a great post. I have felt the same feelings lately. Its always good to take a step back and remember what things are most important in life and to remember that some of the things we want may not always be the things we really need. Even though at times its hard to see it that way.

melissa said...

good perspective michelle. i only have one thing i want, and the doctor said i have to wait a little while longer to try to have it... :) nate wants a house, but i know that will come later. it's nice to know that we get what we need, even if it's not what we thought we wanted. if that makes any sense.

jen.nie said...

My thoughts aren't so eloquent. but i know how you feel. The phrase that keeps coming to my mind is... in due time. I know someday i'll get what i truly want. And sometimes i can't help but wonder when that day will come. Until then i'm left to my daily decisions in the hopes that they will bring me that much closer to the object of my desire. I need to be better.

I'm also curious as to what IT is. Mine is obvious but yours not so. If you feel like spilling the beans feel free to tip over. But i'll understand if you choose to keep things sealed.

brianne said...

Hello my darling Michelle and Lexi (and I guess Cole too, but that would be weird to type!!) :)

I have my guesses as to your "want" and I think that Nate and I know you well enough to be pretty sure that we are right ...

If it's what I think it is, I hope that you get your "want" soon too. It's hard to wait for the things that we think we want most sometimes, but I am learning that our Father in Heaven, who knows us perfectly and the things that we need to return and live with Him someday, has designed our lives in such a way that we can have challenges and opportunities to be tested and tried in ways that we might not have chosen on our own. Somehow though, as the years go by, we look back and realize that even thoguh things weren't what we wanted to begin with, Heavenly Father made up for it in the end.

I don't know if that makes sense, but we love you and your darling little family and hope that you will continue to find light and joy in the little things that truly make us happy!

Bethany said...

I feel like this a lot. In one way it's good to want something. it is what makes us strive for things in our life. however, sometimes if I get fixated on something it make life a little more depressing.

I've always found if I start fixating on something I want that is not really necessary (to move, get a new job, have a new house) and that I can live without, that I just need to focus on something else in my life that occupies my time..... like exercising or something.

Not the greatest advice, but that's how it is for me. And if your want is to move outta Flagstaff and closer to your family... I think the majority of the people here feel the same way! Heaven help us!

Holbrook's said...

such a hard thing to come to grips with though!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Sharon said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It was good to reflect on.