Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lexi's Story

I am finally able to update the blog. WARNING: this is LONG and is taking the place of my journal entry

Lexi was born on October 23. That morning I went in to the see Dr. Lindstrom (the one who was filling in for my Doctor while he was on vacation). Cole came with me this time. My blood pressure was high again. I was 38 weeks so the doctor said that if I wasn't opposed to being induced he thought I should go ahead and do it before pre-eclampsia developed. He then said we could have the baby that day or one of the upcoming days. If we had her that day he could deliver her. I really liked him and wanted him to deliver our baby. He left the room to call the hospital to see if they could take me that day (the 23rd). While he was gone I had Cole offer a prayer. I didn't know what we should do. I was scared to be a Mom and didn't feel like I could make the decision because I was too scared. Cole said he felt like we should trust in the doctors opinion and go ahead and have her that day.

The doctor called the hospital and they said to be there in an hour to be induced. AHHHH... I was so scared and excited. We ran home and packed up our stuff and then went to Quizno's to eat lunch. We then went to the hospital. They started the induction process. They did a gel insert followed by an hour of rest then an hour of walking. This process is to be repeated three times. I had the first insert and rested and walked. They then came in and put in the second insert.

After the second insert I had an odd pain. The nurse checked me and then the pain continued and my blood pressure dropped a lot. They immediately told me to get on my hands and knees in the bed. A lot of other nurses came rushing in. They gave me a shot to stop my contractions. They started the IV. A nurse reached in and started rubbing the babies head. Lexi's heart rate dropped as well and she was trying to stimulate her to get it back up. They then called the doctor to come. Then they started to ask me if I'd ever had surgery before. I remember the nurse saying, "Do you know why we are asking you if you've ever had surgery before"? I knew exactly why they were asking me that...c-section. The doctor got there and broke my water. He then put internal monitors on Lexi. I was shaking uncontrollably. They thought my placenta had separated from the wall. It hadn't. They decided I had a reaction to the insert. The baby and I started to do better. The doctor then left and we decided to start the epidural.

The epidural was wonderful and didn't hurt at all. I loved it. My contractions started coming fast and hard. The nurse came in and told me I needed to lay on my side. The babies heart rate wasn't doing what it was supposed to so they wanted me on my side. She then came in a few minutes later and said I needed to switch sides. Lexi's heart rate was dropping really low and then when it went back up it would level out and didn't have enough variability. They said changing my laying position would help that. It did help for a minute or two but then it would go back to being too low.

I was only dilated to a 4. The doctor was called back. He said that because I was only a 4 and Lexi's heart rate was dropping they needed to get her out soon. It would take too long for me to get to a 10 on my own. She wouldn't have been able to tolerate it. He said we needed to do a c-section. Before I knew it Cole was in scrubs and I was being wheeled off to the operating room.

The worst part was when I first got to the operating room Cole couldn't come in. I hated being alone. My parents were in Africa and my Mom wouldn't be back until the 29th. I was scared and wanted her to come home sooner to help me. I knew that the recovery would be difficult and I'd need help. I also knew I could count on Cole and that even if my Mom couldn't come for a while he would do everything he could to help me.

The c-section went well. The hardest part was I was shaking really bad and couldn't stop. I guess everyone does. They actually strap your arms down while they do it. I could kind of feel when they pulled Lexi out. It didn't hurt but I felt a pressure change. I was worried because she didn't cry at first. It turns out the cord was around her neck and that was probably why her heart rate was dropping. When she came out she was really pale and they gave her oxygen. She ended up in the NICU overnight for about 10 hours. It was hard because they needed to take her to the NICU and Cole didn't know who he should stay with. I only got to see her for about 5 seconds before they took her and I didn't get to hold her.

Cole went to the NICU with Lexi while I was in recovery. They had to give her an IV and it took them four tries to get it in. She was a trooper though and hardly cried. She is such a patient girl. About an hour later I finally got to go down to the NICU in my hospital bed. They put her on my chest and I got to hold her. Cole got in touch with my parents and they decided to come home early so my Mom could help me (thank you sooooo much!). Things were looking better. I only got to hold Lexi for a little while and then I had to go upstairs. It was hard because I really didn't get to see her. I felt bad because I couldn't remember what she looked like. Everyone wanted to know her name the next day when we called to tell them she was born. I had hardly seen her and didn't know what to name her. It took us several days to decide. I was glad that the day after she was born she got to leave the NICU.

We stayed in the hospital four days. The day after we got home my Mom came. Things have been going well and they get better each day. I feel really good now and can do most things. Lifting really hurts and I get into pain if I walk for too long. I am so lucky Lexi is so good and patient. She is a really content baby. I feel very blessed to have her. Even though it was a eventful experience it was well worth it. Love you Lexi!

7 comments:

Denise said...

Michelle,
I didn't know you had such an adventure. You would have never known because you look so good and are so positive. I am glad she is a good baby. She sure is adorable and I am excited for her and Erika to be so close in age! Let me know if you need anything.

melissa said...

wow, you're tough, michelle! i agree, you still look wonderful and so does lexi. i'm glad your mom made it back, too. it's always a little easier with moms around. (that's you now, too.)

Carrie said...

Ak! That was scary! I was on pins and needles while I was reading that, which I realize now was kinda funny because obviously you and Lexi are okay now... haha Anyway, I'm glad it all turned out alright and now you are a MOM! How awesome!

Sharon said...

Michelle - Lexi is beautiful. Glad to know everyone is doing good now. You'll be a great mom. Love, Sharon

Natalie said...

Michelle,
Grandma showed me your blog tonight. Your little Lexi is adorable. Congrats to you and Cole. Having a baby is always scary, but I'm sure the emergency situation made it even scarier. The good news is that if you have to have a c-section in the future, planned c-sections are not too bad. Sure, the recovery is always hard, but the stress during the surgery isn't bad at all. In fact, it's kind of nice to know the day and hour your child is coming into the world...for preparation sake. Anyway, I hope you have fun with your little sweetheart!
Love, cousin Natalie

Dave & Aimee said...

Wow I am glad that you and Lexi are both doing alright! Congrats, she is so cute! I am sure you are just loving being a mom. I can't believe how fast they grow up! Dawson seems so old and huge now that I've got little Jordan around, it's crazy! So enjoy all the newborn stuff cause it will be over soon.

Kathy VonTrapp said...

Oh my goodness Michelle, sorry you had a c-section, but so happy that everything went well! I had a c-section with Joshua and I also had the "shakes". My mom also couldn't be there with me as mine was an emergency c-section too. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon...and Lexi is so beautiful! :-)